CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 3, 2011

Bible In 90 Days - Day 1

Genesis 1:1 - 16:16

Today was the first day of the Bible In 90 Days Challenge.  I got up early and did my reading at 6am with my coffee at hand.

I have to admit that I got a little perfectionist on myself when I saw that the recommended Bible was a Zondervan NIV.  I have a gazillion bibles in my house and do you think I could find a Zondervan NIV??

I actually did find one.  My Women Of Faith Bible.  But, it is a huge, soft, paperback and hard to get comfortable with, so that wasn't an option.

Eventually I found a cheap dollar-store variety NIV Bible that will have to suffice.  The only problem with it is that the print is so tiny that I can barely read it.  *sigh*

I do have a Yearly Bible that is NIV, however it is not by Zondervan.  I may end up using that one.....

I know, I know.... I'm too worried about the type of Bible I will use.  I know that the TYPE of Bible is not as important as what is written inside.

So, anyway, I did the reading first thing in the AM.  Now, I know this is not a 'bible study', it is a 'read-through'.  But, I also saw on one of the MomsToolbox posts to make a 'Go Back To' list.  So, here are a few observations...

1) Genesis 1:20-23 (New International Version, ©2010)

 20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

OK, God spent the entire 5th day of creation on fish & birds ONLY?? Was this just an 'easy day'? Or are birds and fish special in some way that they were devoted a whole day's attention?  I mean, God made ALL the other animals, including HUMANS on day 6...... (??)

2.) Genesis 9:18-29 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Sons of Noah
 18 The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) 19 These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the whole earth.  20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded[a] to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked.
 24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said,
   “Cursed be Canaan!
   The lowest of slaves
   will he be to his brothers.”

 26 He also said,
   “Praise be to the LORD, the God of Shem!
   May Canaan be the slave of Shem.
27 May God extend Japheth’s[b] territory;
   may Japheth live in the tents of Shem,
   and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”

 28 After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29 Noah lived a total of 950 years, and then he died.

Why was Noah so angry at Ham?  Was it because Ham should've just covered up his father and kept his mouth shut?  Maybe Noah was embarrassed because he got caught being a naked drunk??

Blogaholic Designs”=

0 comments:

Post a Comment